Tuesday, December 15, 2009

the elusiveness of simplicity

I suspect that our culture does not place simplicity very high on its list of values. In fact, the word "culture" seems to imply sophistication and complexity. Western culture in particular, with its emphasis on rationality and intellectual skills, tends to militate against anything that is too easily accessed (e.g. by intuition). A good mind is more highly valued than a good heart. As you can see, I'm associating simplicity with the heart. One way to define simplicity is to say that it is living from the heart. Young children do this quite easily and naturally. As we grow older and our minds develop, we shift from relying on the intuitive to relying more on what we can understand and grasp with our minds. Once our minds kick into full gear life starts to get very complicated and that blessed gift of simplicity gets lost in the shuffle. Now, sophistication and complexity are not bad in themselves. The problem is when we forget or abandon the simplicity of the heart in preference for the "higher wisdom" of increasing intellectual sophistication.

Isn't this at least partly what Jesus is warning us of when he tells us that we won't even be able to enter the kingdom of heaven unless we humble ourselves as little children? If that is a requirement for entering, I suspect it is also a requirement for continuing.

The most radical and transformative step that I've ever taken towards child-likeness and simplicity was when I decided to start addressing God as "Daddy". I had heard an older, seasoned saint once suggest to a group of pastors that they begin speaking to God in such terms. His own favorite term for God was "Papa" which he would unabashedly use even when speaking from the pulpit to large crowds.

As I took this advice to heart I found that initially it was an akward adjustment. But slowly I got used to it and eventually it felt so right that I now can't imagine not addressing God that way (at least privately). In fact, "Daddy!" has become my favorite and most frequently used one-word prayer, most often utilized when I haven't a clue what else to pray. All I know is that it expresses a deep, unfulfilled longing that needs expression - a longing that cannot be encompassed by neat mental categories we call "words".

In some ways I feel like I have been regressing in my spiritual life. It isn't always fun to take the lower road, but in the long haul I have found it satisfying and do recommend it (i.e.simplifying). A good first step is to slow down. Observe how young children interact with life. Most of my children have grown up. But Clara is in that state of perpetual child-likeness so she is a constant reminder of what it is like to be intuitive, simple, aware and immediately connected to the present. I long to see her whole, her mind as fully functional as her heart. Maybe that day will come when our (the Body of Christ's) hearts have finally been healed . . . because I have a sneaking suspicion that hearts need to be healed before minds . . . Daaaa-ddyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


...you have received a spirit of adoption. When we cry, "Abba! Father!" it is that very Spirit bearing witness with our spirit that we are children of God . . .(Ro 8:15)

. . . the simplicity that is in Christ . . . (2 Cor. 11:3 KJV)

. . .it is with the heart that you believe . . . (Ro. 10:10)

No comments: