Thursday, January 22, 2009

the resting eagle

As I was driving to work yesterday my eye was drawn to an unusual sight - a bald eagle resting high up on the top of a large tree. This is only the second time Becky or I have spotted an eagle this far from the Mississippi, where their numbers have been increasing of late. As I reflected on that simple, yet somehow profound picture, the thought that came to me was, "This is your time to rest."

Discerning one's times and seasons is so critical to a spiritual life, a life in tune with the Spirit. There's a part of me that feels stunted, like I'm making so little progress. I interpret my circumstances as "non-eventful" and having little meaning or significance. Is the winter, or the "dry season", less significant or important than the vibrant growing season when all is lusciously green and bursting with new life? Is night less important than day, rest less important than activity?

My heart is not proud, O LORD,
my eyes are not haughty,
I do not concern myself with great matters,
or things too wonderful for me.
But I have stilled and quieted my soul;
like a weaned child with its mother,
like a weaned child is my soul within me.
O Israel, put your hope in the LORD
both now and forevermore.
(Psalm 131)

This is what the Sovereign LORD, the Holy One of Israel, says,
"In returning and rest is your salvation,
in quietness and trust is your strength . . .
The LORD longs to be gracious to you;
he rises to show you compassion.
For the LORD is a God of justice.
Blessed are all who wait for him!"
(Isaiah 30:15,18)

No comments: